Alex has long been able to recognize his own name, and often looks at other words and reads the letters... especially if they are in all caps. We talk about letters a lot, and what sounds they make.
The other day, I was putting up the Step and Play Piano for Carter. This was absolutely Alex's favorite place to be as a baby... he loved being able to 'stand' and 'sit up' before he was ready, and the fact that -- later as his skills developed -- he could make music by stamping or pressing the keys. As you can imagine, I was trying to be very delicate with Alex as I started setting up his favorite toy, to give to that other kid in the house.
As I was screwing legs in, I asked Alex what "Piano" started with. "P", he answered, easily. I took him through the rest of the word... "Good... Pee AHN o... what comes next?" and he spelled the word out.
As I picked up the front part, with the logo on it a bit later, I pointed to the word, "Piano" and asked him what it spelled... he sounded it out and knew... "Piano!"
Let the reading begin!
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment