Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Babies ARE Fun

Before you read further, let me state unequivocally that I love Alex, and loved him as a baby. He was a pretty good baby, and -- though I could *never* get him to smile for the camera -- I remember thinking that he smiled quite a bit and was generally happy.

But, I also remember thinking, "Everyone says babies are fun... huh" and not feeling that babies were *fun*. Babies were cute, and soft, and I loved how he would stroke my side under my arm when he would nurse, and how much we enjoyed later as he started giggling. I certainly loved him and loved being with him, but I think I was trying so hard with him all the time, I didn't get the 'fun' part. I was always looking to the next part... when he'd rollover, or giggle, or say the next word, or sit up. I've heard it said that whatever stage babies are at is the best, and each new thing is that much more enjoyable.

Perhaps because I know Carter is our last baby, or perhaps because I'm more relaxed now, or I'm just dealing better overall with the lack of sleep, it strikes me how *fun* Carter is. I don't think he is substantially more fun than Alex was, but I am enjoying just being with him. I love changing him and singing to him, and holding his little soft cheek up to mine. Of course, Alex is just a blast now that we can talk to him and play with him: he makes us laugh all the time. But, I'm really having fun with Carter now too. Regularly, I'm finding that I would really *rather* spend the day with him than go into work.

This morning, I was in the shower and he was just cooing as he was waking up. As his Dad went to pick him up, his expression changed from a drowsy, cooing, "I'm ready to be picked up now" look to a huge smile and grinning eyes as he recognized his Dad. That's just fun.

No comments: