Sunday, March 2, 2008

The How and the Why

Yesterday, after Alex successfully woke up from a nap to go potty, we took him to ice cream. While standing in the long line, he whined,
"Pick me uuuppppp!". I picked him up and threw him over my shoulder, tickling the back of his legs.
"Nooo, not like THAT!" he giggled.
"What," I replied. "You said to pick you up, you didn't say how."
He quickly protested, "How! How!"

In other potty news, we were told by other parents to expect some regression in the potty training, and were pleased to see that wasn't the case. I think we just assumed that you have to be having a lot of success before you regress, but that isn't so. Over the weekend, he's had at least one accident every day, even just with pee. *Sigh*

After a round of accidents today, he was so honest in promising he would not have an accident again. He went to the movies, and asked to leave twice to go potty... we were very pleased. Then, as he was playing in his room (and despite going poopy earlier today), he just pooped in his pants.

While I was cleaning it and him up in the bathroom, I calmly asked, "Why did you poop in your pants? You could have just come in here and pooped and we wouldn't have to do this. Why did you do it?"
"Because" he said.
"No," I said, don't say 'because', that isn't good enough. I want to know why. Look at me and tell me why."
He turned to look at me with a completely honest face and said, a bit puzzled,
"Why."

No comments: