Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Good Stuff

I don't want to give the wrong impression, the past few weeks haven't *all* been about bad parenting and jealous needs... the boys have been pretty adorable too.

Carter now laughs as well as smiles. He's a pretty smiley baby, and placing him on his back -- especially while singing to him -- almost always elicits a smile if not a giggle or two. I really think he's bringing some teeth in... he has bitten me a lot lately, and he really likes it when I run my finger over his gums or let him chew it. If my finger isn't in his mouth, his fingers or a pacifier are. He's quick to smile for others too... which is fun. He charms people wherever he goes.

Alex continues with his independence. In the past few weeks, we've been to birthday parties, went bowling (it takes a *long* time to bowl with 3 year olds... they softly push the ball and we watch it roll, roll, roll, roll, roll to the end of the lane) and went to the zoo. It is really fun to see him 'discover' something! He gets excited and pumps his arms up and down... "The Monkeys are *noisy*!" with a cute grin and laugh. And, I'm continually impressed with how loving he is towards others. He gives hugs to people he meets, and even when some kids at school were stick-out-your-tongue rude, he said good bye and smiled. One day (after an exhausting spring fling with a bouncy castle... I think all the kids were just beat), two of his friends were pretty cranky. When Alex said goodbye, one stuck out his tongue and made a nasty face and the other blew a raspberry. As we walked to get Carter, Alex said the first boy "hurt my feelings". But, as this boy' mom brought him to Carter's building to get his little sister, the boy smiled and Alex and said good bye. "He said good bye!" Alex said with a huge smile. I worry that he'll grow up being bullied, or too sensitive to what others think and feel about him... but I'm very pleased that he has a sense of kindness in him. That is something many others often remark about him, and I hope that his consideration for others continues.

No comments: