I was watching a video clip covering the health care debate today, when Alex came up and asked me what "health care" is. I told him that it's the system we have in this country for doctors to help people. He then asked me what the people on the screen were talking about, and I told him that it was people trying to decide how we could pay for doctors to help people who don't have enough money to pay doctors themselves.
Alex thought for a moment, and then said, "I'll be right back!" and ran into his room. He came out carrying his bank, and said, "Daddy, I want to give this money to people who don't have money for doctors."
Alex has a well-developed sense of empathy, clearly more than some of our political leaders even. He can put himself in the shoes of everyone, even the bad guys. When I explained to him the other day that Darth Vader turns good at the end, he said, "That must have made the stormtroopers sad." He is always looking at the world from the point of view of others, understanding how they must feel.
I couldn't ask for a better foundation for him to build his morality on. No matter what creed you end up espousing, empathy is the key for leading a moral life and avoiding going in the wrong direction. I'm so proud of him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment