Last week was a challenging one: Mommy and Daddy took Carter to Utah for Grandma Elsie's funeral, and Alex stayed with Grams and Granddad in Albuquerque. I thought it might be good for both of them... as Carter gets more attention for learning to walk, Alex could use some "alone time". Also, I thought the time alone with Carter would allow us to really encourage him to walk, and just enjoy him a bit. Sometimes I feel like -- where we doted on every single breath Alex took, now that we have *two* kids -- sometimes Carter doesn't get the full on treatment.
Sure enough, Carter just charmed us and everyone he came into contact with. From the people on the plane making goo goo faces at him (and the man from a few rows back that stopped us as he got off the plane to tell us what a beautiful child we had!), to people in the restaurants to family, Carter was quick to laugh and smile and I really think people enjoyed him. One night at a restaurant, as Grandma held him to the window to watch the falling snow... a customer crossed across the parking lot and grass to come to the outside of the window and touch the window and interact with him. Amazing. On Sunday night, when CC took me to the ER late at night (nothing serious... just a kidney stone, perhaps), I was very nervous about leaving him with *new* people (his Aunt Judy, Uncle John and Auntie Laiad), with no bottle. Would he cry and scream all night? Would he refuse to sleep? Would he feel disoriented and scared by completely new surroundings? Nope... he laughed and played and had a grand time. I was very pleased they were willing to give him back to us.
Upon our return, we were so thrilled to be with Alex again (as was Carter... golly, that kid just adores his brother so). Grams and Granddad had a fantastic time with Alex, and it was if a switch somewhere was flipped and Alex was talking up a storm... and talking... and talking. Mom and Dad said he was absolutely wonderful and well behaved (as if we expected anything less) and fun and engaging and just a ball to be around. They had a great time, and I think they kind of wished we had stayed gone another day or so, just so they could have him all to themselves a bit longer. I was very pleased they were willing to give him back to us.
Obviously, we love our children and genuinely enjoy being with them. It is just so nice to know that others feel the same way. Why shouldn't they?, they are great kids.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment