Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Alex Delighted

I've blogged before about Alex's love affair with Scooby Doo. He saw the DVD in our bedroom tonight, though we haven't watched it for some time. So, we had an early bath and watched one episode while I fed Carter.

Alex sat on the couch with his legs curled up in his arms in front of him, *watching*. When the mummy came out and started chasing Scooby and Shaggy, he had a genuine look of slight fear on his face, shaking his head a little... then, just as I thought "Is he really scared?", Scooby hid in one of three large jars all lined up in the Egyptian museum. As the mummy lifted the lid and looked in the first jar, Scooby poked his head out of the top of the third jar. As Scooby closed the lid and the mummy opened the third jar, Scooby poked his head out of the first. This slapstick was perfect, Alex was delighted with a genuine smile and laugh and "hee hee hee."

One of our favorite phrases coming out of Alex these days is "I have an idea!" such as, "I have an idea, you can finish drinking my milk for me. That's a good idea, right?" or when I tell him he can have only one piece of candy today, does he want it now or when we go to the movie theatre, he says, "I have an idea, I eat a piece of candy now, and then also when we go to the movie", as if it honestly was just now a brainstorm on how to solve this delicate problem.

It is also fun to see him genuinely impressed, eliciting a low, "oooooh!" CC is searching for a glowing wand for the Halloween Haunt this year, and found one at Walgreens, turning it on in the car on the way home. "Ooooooh," Alex said, and we could just see the mental math working on how he could get that glowing wand for his own. "I have an idea..."

No comments: