Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Boyness of Alex

When you think about birthday gifts for kids, you inevitably compare them to what *you* played with... your favorite toys or special memories you had. As Alex opened his birthday gifts -- and he got some very cool ones -- it struck me how very boy-like he is, and how not-at-all-a-boy I am. He was absolutely thrilled with all of them... matchbook cars, a Batman car that converts from a coupe with Bruce Wayne in the front to the Batmobile with Batman in the front, dinosaur books, big bugs, dinosaur and camo clothes and pajamas, Tonka trucks. None of these were even close to what I played with as a kid. As I opened all the packages this morning for him to play with them, I felt a little distanced from him... I think I've written about this before... the distance I feel from the boys, as I'm sure fathers of girls feel a bit removed from their interests. Tonight, he opened gifts from Nick and Uncle Terry. Included with the Chewbacca figure and Batman pajamas was a Whoopee cusion. Never in my life have I ever owned (or used, actually), a whoopee cushion! That's the boyest thing yet!

Nick got him a Batman car (haven't opened that yet... we will this week) and a Batman mask. The mask is great... sturdy, with big eye holes, but easy to breathe in. He put it on immediately, and started giggling at the coolness of it. Then he went into the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror and started giggling again. It stayed on him the rest of the evening -- we didn't think he would ever take it off... until Daddy mentioned that Batman didn't eat cake and it came off as quickly as it went on!

No comments: