Sunday, January 27, 2008

Day Care Familiarity

Carter's first day at day care was Thursday... and I only teared up a little bit. He's been spending some time with Grandma while I did a few hours at work each day, but that seemed different. It was more "spending time with Grandma" and less "handing your child to someone else to raise."

Alex's footprints have gone before Carter, however, and word got out at daycare that Alex's brother was there, teachers from the other rooms and buildings came to see Carter... even  before she saw me, one teacher saw the custom-made tennis shoe blanket Grams had made for Alex and said, "I recognize that blanket, that must be Alex's brother". As I was leaving, and other teachers were sweeping in to hold and cuddle Carter, it did make me feel better. I know, logically, that familiarity with Carter's brother won't insure better care for him... it's not like they completely ignore the other babies or anything. It does make me feel more like leaving him with family... and that helps.

No comments: