Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Carter on the Eve of Turning One

About this time a year ago, we were headed to the hospital. I was sure it was going to be a long night. Thanks to a seemingly ginourmous head of my unborn child, they were afraid to let the pregnancy go much larger lest we'd run the risk of a c-section. They were going to induce me with each of three pills, waiting 1/2 hour hour after each. Then start a pitocin drip which could take a few hours. But by 11, I had the first of the 3 pills and had started labor, so I never took the other pills or the pitocin. I had a scary event where I had really severe chest pain and had trouble breathing and couldn't talk for about 5 minutes... but they adjusted the epidural and then I was ok. By the time the nurse checked me again, everyone was surprised how quickly I had progressed and they called the midwife to get there as fast as she could. We called my mom as well and told her to trek up to the hospital. The midwife made it in time, my mom didn't! 3 pushes later, Carter was here and I was eating applesauce and thinking, "Man, that was easy!" By 2 am we were all done ;-).

Now, I can admit it. I didn't think it was possible to love another child as much as I loved Alex. I know other parents said love just grew and it was possible but I didn't believe it. When I was pregnant, we would often put Alex to bed and think, "This is going to be so hard for him! And so hard for us... another child just *can't* be this great!"

Of course, he was. I am genuinely surprised that -- not only do I love Carter as much as I love Alex -- I really don't have a favorite. They are both so wonderful, so enjoyable and so loved. And, I think it is great that they have each other. It is clear Carter just adores Alex and beams whenever Alex walks into the room. I think Carter is growing on Alex a bit. I hear Alex saying things to Carter that we've said, calling him "Carter G" like we do, or saying gently, "Don't cry Carter, you'll be ok!" I hope they always take good care of each other, and continue to adore each other.

Going into his first birthday, Carter can stand and walk when he is holding onto something. He's got his top 4 and bottom 4 teeth in. Today, (after 5 days) he is once again eating baby food and taking bottles. When I was in Atlanta this past weekend and away from him for about 30 hours, he wasn't drinking much. Since he vomited on Thanksgiving, he hasn't been eating much. I think getting back into the routine at daycare has helped him and he's eating. He's still a bit cranky off and on (I blame the teeth), but when he's happy his smile just lights up the room.

He can wave goodbye, and doesn't really have any words, though he is very close to "Dada" and "Mama" and "Bye", though he hasn't used any very consistently. He still loves anything with buttons, and crawls over to Guildie to get her to lick him in the face, which she is happy to do. I love it when he pats my arm gently when he is falling asleep or nursing. I can almost always get him to smile by "dancing" with him and singing to him while I bounce and sway. He's started pinching me in the neck, which hurts like a son of a gun and he gets really angry when I grab his fingers to prevent the pinch. He certainly recognizes people and reaches out for them, especially his Daddy and Mommy. Everyone who cares for him loves how he cuddles. Don't tell the other kids at daycare, but I'm pretty sure he is everyone's favorite there! Everyone reaches for him to hold him when I bring him in and I don't see that happening with others. He is quick to offer a smile, and burrows coyly into my arms when he sees someone else or thinks he'll be taken from me... which of course, I love!

Happy Birthday baby boy! You're growing up, but I've loved having you as a baby!

No comments: