Sunday, August 10, 2008

Carter is Special

For a few weeks now, Carter just hasn't been himself. He went a whole week without taking a bottle at day care and has been really fussy nursing (frantically trying to nurse, then crying once he's started). He's had a couple nights where he's had a low grade fever, then boom, the next day - he'd be fine. He just hasn't been as smiley as he usually is.

CC got sick again, and on Thursday (after missing work all week) came home with antibiotics and positive culture for strep. I marched myself in on Friday after I got sick, but my strep culture was negative. "But what about the boys?" I asked the doctor, who assured me that babies (especially breast fed babies) don't get strep, and in his whole career, he's only ever seen 2 babies that got it. Great... I rested easier.

Then Saturday Carter's fever didn't go away, he refused a bottle, and was fussy feeding again. So... in we went to urgent care where I asked the doctor about the first doctor's declaration, and he agreed. "He's right," he told me. "Babies don't get strep. I've been a pediatrician 10 years and I've only seen one baby with strep, and he was almost a year old. But, since I've told you that story, let's go ahead and run the culture, and then we can give him a decongestant."

The culture was positive... Carter has strep. And within the hour, my throat had that painful soreness that only strep has. (Fortunately, the first doctor gave me a prescription for strep in case it hit me over the weekend.)

So, we're watching Alex for the very first mention of "my throat hurts" and I'm taking his temperature regularly, and so far, so good. Carter gets to be the second (and youngest) baby in 10 years of the pediatrician to get strep, CC is really doing better now, and I seem to be two days behind him... so I'm looking toward tomorrow pretty positively... maybe I'll have a voice in the morning ;-).

No comments: