I think every mother remembers her *first* Mother's Day. I was pregnant and CC gave me a card from the baby saying he couldn't wait to be born. Considering I was only a few weeks away from delivering at that point, I heartily agreed.
This past Mother's Day was also special as I think it was the first Mother's Day when I received gifts that my child made and *realized he was making at the time*. Some of the past 3 years' gifts have been nice, but largely the result of a thoughtful spouse or teacher taking the holiday into their hands. When Alex was drawing or putting his hand in paint to make a print, I'm not sure he even knew what he was doing. This year, I hit the jackpot with meaningful gifts. He painted a picture of himself (at first I thought it was me... whoops...) with a "story" on it about going to the airport and how he likes to eat candy with his Mommy. I am surprised he mentioned the airport as we haven't been to one in a long time... but I think the candy reference was a little manipulative. For some reason, he's really honed in on candy lately, and the special drawer that has held his unnoticed Halloween and Valentine's Day candy is suddenly really of interest. Of course, I like eating candy too, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily a hobby we share. Obviously, Alex would like to change that.
I also received a little plastic vase he decorated with squares of tissue paper and modge podge. I think every mother has to have the stained glass like vase, and now I'm officially in the mommy club. His daddy had him work on two frames for me... one from Alex with foam googly-eyed bugs around the ridges, and another from Carter with scrapbook baby icons around the edges. (Which reminds me, I'd better be getting some pictures taking of the second kid -- I'm falling behind in mommy documentation). While staying at Grandma and Grandpa's house for a sleepover last week, Alex mixed the plaster, poured the molds and then painted little Dinosaur magnets.
Daddy gave Mommy the Flip video camera... love it, using it lots already.
Of course, it was an even *better* day because I got to spend it with *my* mommy, though I didn't make her a homemade gift and now I feel badly about that. We had brunch with another Mommy friend of mine and the kiddos. For dinner, I made dinner for CC's mom and dad, and his brother. His niece and nephew came as well and I was especially touched when they each gave me a rose and a card. Really, it meant a lot.
I think Mommys work very hard to be good Mommys, and we do it because we think it is so very important to do a good job -- not because we need to hear others praise us. Still, it is extra special to have someone say they think we're doing a good job too. So, to the Mommies in my life... you did (and are doing) a great job!
The only thing that could have made the day better was a nap... but I'll trade the stained glass plastic vase for one any day.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment